Canberra Grammar School Code Cadets come 3rd in the BSides Canberra 2018 CTF
The Canberra Grammar School Code Cadets once again participated in the annual BSides Canberra Capture the Flag (CTF) competition.
This two-day competition has teams of hackers trying their skills at a variety of challenges — ranging from web vulnerabilities through to Linux challenges, binary exploitation, and OSINT/forensic analysis.
Last year a team of seven Code Cadets from Year 11 participated and achieved 4th place in the competition. Learning from experience, this year the Code Cadets was 28 students strong — with a range of boys and girls from Years 8 to 12. The group split into three teams, named Code Cadets Alpha, Code Cadets Charlie, and Code Cadets Delta.
In an impressive performance, all teams finished in the top 10 (against 185 registered teams) — with Code Cadets Delta in 9th place (2725 points), Code Cadets Charlie in 8th place (2725 points)…
…and Code Cadets Alpha in an amazing 3rd place (4375 points). This team consisted of all our students who participated last year, and it was great to see them level-up to achieve a podium finish in 2018.
The teams have been busy completing write-ups of all the CTF challenges they solved, with the first batch now online:
- Birdie Red (75 points) by Tyra Kuan
- Birdie Orange (125 points) by Chamindu Dayajeewa
- Birdie Yellow (175 points) by Damian Camilleri
- Birdie Blue (275 points) — Coming Soon
- Rollpay (100 points) by Jack Carey
- Softcover Walk (300 points) by Zack Noyes
- Bashes SP Data (300 points) — Coming Soon
- Fat Morphine (400 points) by George Dan
- Neo Boffy (1000 points) by George Dan
- Maze — Two Bird (350 points) by Yasas Kulatunga
- Old PC (375 points) by Ben Daniell
- Red or Blue (400 points) by Zack Noyes
We would like to say a big thank you to Elttam for setting-up these fun (albeit sometimes entertainingly frustrating!) CTF challenges which certainly kept us very mentally occupied over the two days.
Also, a very special thank you to Ionize — particularly Ash, Rick, Michael, Ryan, and Andrew for all their support providing the Code Cadets with specialised training in the lead-up to the CTF, and also being a sounding board and supporter for our younger teams during the CTF competition. You guys are truely awesome and honorary Code Cadets 🙂
In case you’re keen to see a few more photos from the CTF, they are available on our Code Cadets SmugMug at: https://photos.codecadets.com/BSides-2018-CTF/